Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Ballad of Humpty, Scruffy & PumpkinFace

Progress - We have a bit more to show as the pieces are coming along quite dandy. I cut my finger today so it made working with epoxy and acetone based fabric glue all that much more pleasurable. Why do I ever take my gloves off?

Ok, enough whining. So first up, we have the blue kitty! I dub thee Scruffy! Behold the Blue Below.

This is a fun one because I'm just making it up as I go. You'd be surprised at how many pieces I've done this way - some of my favorites actually. Anywubba, this blue kitty will include whiskers and paws. She already has her tail. Her face/head is cast in resin and that is just a base coat of paint. I will try to get her face painted next. I'm also debating adding some stripes to her body. If you feel strongly one way or another about this please voice your opinion. That way I will at least know that somebody actually read this blog and I'm (Hi, this is a cry for attention) not wasting my life staring at a computer at night alone.



And comin' 'round the bend is Humpty Dumpty! He is the furthest behind in terms of progress. I'm not sure why... I like eggmen - Koo Koo Kachoo! Though I haven't yet allowed this fellow the time he deserves, I am very excited about this one. As I mentioned in the previous blog posting that I intend to create a series of fairytale characters. I plan on having this feller sit his rump upon a wall. The bumpy clay slowly forming the shape of his head is magic sculpt - an epoxy putty that hardens after a few hours. It's tough stuff. If this guy had a great fall there would be no need for any king's horses or men. He would probably not even crack.


Ok, last but not least is PumpkinFace - the last starfighter. I had done a drawing of this character years ago and just found it again recently when I moved. I then updated it in photoshop and got a better feel for what direction I was going to take him. The head is sculpted in Chavant (an oil based clay) and will be molded with silicone, then cast hollow in resin... as in holloween. Geez, I'm corny!
Moving along, my plan was to have some battery operated led lights illuminating the blue inner glow you see in the sketch. I can see the lights sitting next to this piece in the last picture I posted below.


 Here's a shot of the 3 I'm working on. Please forgive the stiffness of my pets as these are just the beginning stages.

That's all I've got for you at this time. Bare with me as I like to take on many projects at once. It keeps things from getting boring. I have a couple of shows lined up for Halloween this year so I will have to get things sped up a bit! Thanks for reading and validating my existence. I'm Zombienose. I make things.
yours truly,
-z

THE LAST TIDBIT:
Here's my friend Jordu Schell's website. He's a master creature designer: